Debian: contempt for "end user" values has to stop!"

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 22:48:35 BST 2009

2009/8/21 Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 8:27 PM, David Gerard<dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2009/8/20 Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com>:

>> At this point I say "get a Mac" and you point out all the ways those
>> suck too ;-p

> I have several, but the only one new enough to be useful is my iMac G5
> and it's dead with the infamous capacitor problem. I must try to get
> it fixed once again... Lovely machine. But I want an x86 one now. :¬)

One day I'll actually try to re-Frankenbook the TiBook ... in the
meantime, Arkady's enjoying the mirrors G4 running 10.5. Very nice.

>> There's no way to stop this happening, so those who care about
>> replacing Windows will have to work out how to do so more organically.

More to the point: Ubuntu for one is good enough to largely replace
Windows as is. Netbook Remix wins.

The problem is (a) installed base (why Silverlight will never replace
Flash) and (b) Microsoft using every trick fair or foul to keep Linux
the hell off computers. Giving XP away for FREE to manufacturers, or
even paying them, rather than put Linux on a laptop.

While they're doing that, the only reasonable action is to wait for MS
to collapse under their own weight (probably when Windows 7 sucks as
much as Vista except that machines are a bit bigger now) then you'll
see more Linux and less Windows tax.

Trying to bend Linux out of shape is singularly pointless in such
conditions; work to its strengths (endless evolutionary variety, runs
on more hardware than anything, costs $0) rather than weaknesses
(endless evolutionary variety, including complete dead ends and really
bad ideas like imitating Windows ... the shitty thing MSI put on the
Wind, anyone?).

- d.