Debian: contempt for "end user" values has to stop!"

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 20:39:04 BST 2009

2009/8/20 Derek Broughton <derek at pointerstop.ca>:
> Liam Proven wrote:

>> Which is fine so long as they don't derail the main effort.
>> Personally,  I think Kubuntu/Xubuntu/etc. just distract from the main
>> project, waste time and effort and pull people away from the main
>> event. But it's a free world, if that's what people want, fine.

> How do they pull anyone away from the "main event" - they're developers who
> don't want _anything_ to do with Gnome.  If somehow Kubuntu, Xubuntu, etc,
> were to disappear today, don't expect that many - if any - of the people
> working on them would choose to put their effort into the mainline Ubuntu.

Yes. This is the fallacy that volunteer effort is fungible. It isn't.
(Wikipedia has the same thing - people who think the people writing
about Pokemon are taking away from writing about science. I cannot
rightly apprehend etc.)

A volunteer will work ten times as hard as any employee ... doing what
they damn well please.

So the necessary management skill is cat-herding: you need to work out
the local value of tuna.

- d.