Debian: contempt for "end user" values has to stop!"

Samuel Thurston, III sam.thurston at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 20:22:54 BST 2009

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 8:42 AM, Ray Leventhal<ubuntu at swhi.net> wrote:

> The complaint that 'I'm not a developer, I can't do this' is hogwash.

Is it? Do you think it's a good idea to have amateur coders
spitballing package fixes to get things done?  One of the serious
problems in software designs is that a bad start can make things
horribly difficult to correct down the road.

There are plenty of users of software that will run into problems that
I would prefer to never see touch a programming language in their
lives.  Heck, there are plenty of working programmers that I wish
would put down the editor, go outside, and stay there.

That said, there's more than one way to skin a cat.  Rather than
writing an admonishing blog post (stick, in the carrot and stick
equation) one's time might be better served in offering bounties for
partial or complete solutions to one's own problems.

and regarding the post author's font problems: defoma? is that an end
user tool?

I always just drop my manual-install fonts in a custom directory and
run fc-cache.... am I doing it wrong?  Does debian not have that?