Is anyone switching from MySQL?

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Sun Apr 26 17:39:03 BST 2009

David Gerard wrote:

> 2009/4/26 Scott <sclewin at sgaming.ca>:
>
>> With the uncertain future of MySQL due to Oracle's purchase I am
>> thinking about using PostgreSQL instead of MySQL for my PHP
>> applications.  I am still fairly new to database programming so I was
>> thinking about changing now should be easier than waiting to see what
>> happens.  I was just wondering if anyone else was thinking anything
>> similar and if anyone haves any words of wisdom or suggestions.
>

> Plus points of PG in our experience:
>
> * It's better in every way for storing your data and getting it back
> again, fast.

That's not what I read about using MySQL on web servers.  Everything points
to MySQL being faster.  I have no personal experience, though, as I'm a
die-hard postgres user.

> Minus points of PG in our experience:
>
> * Everyone writes specifically for MySQL. PG support is patchy at best.

And again, not my experience.  Perhaps for Scott's PHP apps, it's true, but
python support for Postgres is pretty solid (psycopg2 & SQLAlchemy).
--
derek