News: "New Windows 7 hack purports to be "unfixable""

Andy stude.list at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 24 15:30:09 BST 2009

2009/4/24 Conrad Knauer <atheoi at gmail.com>:
> It requires physical access to the machine though; how is this
> fundamentally different than saying Vista is susceptible to Ubuntu
> Live CDs? :)

For Vista to susceptible to live CDs the BIOS would need to permit
booting from CD. Anyone sensible would disable this in the BIOS and
set a BIOS admin password (and you would probably need to stop someone
reseting the password).

If the flaw is actually in Windows then locking down the BIOS wouldn't
protect you.

Unfortunately I have not been able to find details of this exploit so
I don't know whether the software is being booted by the BIOS and then
running Windows or whether it is a flaw in Windows that runs the
software during bootup.

Andy

--
$ fortune