Apple Watch - Enterprises Chucking Windows Choose Macintosh?

Brian Fahrlander wheeldweller at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 23:12:21 BST 2009

Jan Claeys wrote:
> Op maandag 13-04-2009 om 10:01 uur [tijdzone -0500], schreef Brian
> Fahrlander:
>
>> Jason Taylor wrote:
>>
>>> "About 14 percent of enterprises already are switching to another
>>> operating system—27 percent of this number to Macintosh and 25 percent
>>> to Ubuntu."
>>>
>>> http://blogs.eweek.com/applewatch/content/mac_os_x/enterprises_chucking_windows_choose_macintosh.html
>>>
>>> of cause stats are stats are stats
>>>

>>     Well, Linux has a couple of disadvantages:
>>
>>     1. Preload. Most people will buy whatever comes on the machine.
>> People don't expect a fish patty on a Whopper.
>>

> An enterprise IT department that uses the default OS pre-install that
> comes on a PC?  I don't think many do that...

    You forget; corporations are made of people. People have homes and a
whole world to deal with after close-of-business. If they have to be on
a computer at home, it'll be whatever's pre-loaded.  People tend to
forget this when selling to corporations.
>>     2. No advertising. It's startling how a project of millions of
>> people, working on a piece of software for about 20 years has managed to
>> keep a lid on it. But Microsoft and Apple have ads; we don't. There's
>> probably no resolution to that.
>>

> We have free adds, like the blog post above, magazine articles,
> newspaper articles, cameos in TV programmes & movies, etc.
>
> (Of course MS & Apple get those too, but nobody will wonder who
> Microsoft or Apple are...)

    Oh, sure. And there are guys who look like girls, made
phenomenally-famous for merely muttering the words "leave Brittany
alone!". Linux doesn't stand out. It gets work done in a days time, but
it's not on the tongues of people who don't do computers.

    I remember a Tuesday; seems it was 1989. Peg Bundy was messing with
a newfangled thing called a 'Fax Machine' and I guess it was hilarious.
Because while nothing happened on Wednesday, on Thursday **everyone**
decided to start advertising fax machines. (I saw the episode, but it
wasn't that memorable).

    The point is, fax machines, as an idea, are of the age of the Civil
War- nothing new about them.  My dad used to sell and service them in
1971. They were anything BUT new, but because they hit the public 'mind'
on that show, a few years later when email was made widely available
(1992 or so) a lot of people were slow to adopt email, since they'd just
gotten so used to faxing.

    Linux need to get involved _there_. In the mind of the TV watching
public. I don't know how to do that.

 Brian Fahrländer                 Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
 Evansville, IN
 ICQ: 5119262                         AOL/Yahoo/GoogleTalk: WheelDweller