Apple Watch - Enterprises Chucking Windows Choose Macintosh?

Brian Fahrlander wheeldweller at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 16:01:38 BST 2009

Jason Taylor wrote:
> "About 14 percent of enterprises already are switching to another
> operating system—27 percent of this number to Macintosh and 25 percent
> to Ubuntu."
>
> http://blogs.eweek.com/applewatch/content/mac_os_x/enterprises_chucking_windows_choose_macintosh.html
>
> of cause stats are stats are stats
    Well, Linux has a couple of disadvantages:

    1. Preload. Most people will buy whatever comes on the machine.
People don't expect a fish patty on a Whopper.

    2. No advertising. It's startling how a project of millions of
people, working on a piece of software for about 20 years has managed to
keep a lid on it. But Microsoft and Apple have ads; we don't. There's
probably no resolution to that.

    In terms of evangelism, I make everyone aware. Just saying the word
lets them know there's an alternative.  My skin crawls when I learn that
someone's using Microsoft over the wireless...it's like Russian
Roullette with two bullets instead of one.  But I don't push; they can
endure the pain- it's natural to them.  Let them feel like they've had
to work to learn about the alternative. I make them aware, then pretend
to deny them the resolution.

    I've managed to install a new Linux box this week, and convert
another, too.

    When the corporates choose, it's a matter of contact: remember that
an IBM PC (Personal Computer for those who forget) made it to the boss'
desk because it was talked about at home and on TV. A replacement will
happen the same way.

    Mac makes GREAT hardware. The second-best Linux experience was on a
PowerPC-powered Mac. But the cost is higher and the ability to
upgrade/hot-rod the machines just isn't there. It's not there for people
like us; that's why there's Linux!

 Brian Fahrländer                 Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
 Evansville, IN
 ICQ: 5119262                         AOL/Yahoo/GoogleTalk: WheelDweller