UNR versus UMIDE

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Sep 29 16:11:28 BST 2008

Liam Proven wrote:

> 2008/9/29 Vadim Peretokin <vperetokin at gmail.com>:
>> It's UMPC's and MID's. Ubuntu Netbook Remix is for UMPC's, Ubuntu Mobile
>> for MID's.
>>
>> UMPC is a (in my opinion) a cheap, gimped laptop. See EEE-PC and the lot.
>> MID is a powerful gadget (imho again). See Samsung Q1.
>>
>> The difference is that a UMPC is in the V shape, so you can't use the
>> keyboard without being stable / sitting down. While an MID is usable
>> while standing and etc. :)
>
> Fair play - you did say it was just your opinion - but I have to
> disagree. I find the N800 type things to be an amusing toy but utterly
> useless and expensive at that, whereas the netbooks are a useful
> category of little machine that I could use a lot.

I pretty well agree with your opinion - I suspect it's all about usage
patterns.  I just can't see how I could take advantage of it for my
_work_ - while I'm just dieing to get my hands on an eee or something
similar.  There's obviously a huge price range among MID devices, though -
the N800 is about the same price as an EEE, while the Samsung Q1 is much
more.

And to confuse things even more, the Q1 calls itself a UMPC...
--
derek