Ubuntu 7.04 to 8.10 Benchmarks: Is Ubuntu Getting Slower?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 13:53:24 GMT 2008

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_bench_2008&num=1

Quote:
[
With the release of Ubuntu 8.10 coming out later this week we decided
to use this opportunity to explore how the performance of this desktop
Linux operating system has evolved over the past few releases. We
performed clean installations of Ubuntu 7.04, Ubuntu 7.10, Ubuntu
8.04, and Ubuntu 8.10 on a Lenovo ThinkPad T60 notebook and used the
Phoronix Test Suite to run 35 tests on each release that covered nine
different areas of the system. After spending well more than 100 hours
running these tests, the results are now available and our findings
may very well surprise you.
]

tests, 8.x is 50% or so slower.

Interesting stuff!