The Guardian: Interview with Mark Shuttleworth

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue May 27 17:40:54 BST 2008

Ben Francis wrote:

> Daniel Robitaille wrote:
>> I haven't had a job that came with office/cubicle with a window in
>> years. I should better choose my employers :)
>>

> Mark Shuttleworth has been known to go to quite extreme lengths to get a
> good view... so I wouldn't worry too much about being able to see the
> London eye out of your office window.
>
> But yes, natural light is good. If you want to know why you don't have a
> window seat you should read Peopleware. It's down to the furniture
> police and a mistaken belief that organising desks to make wiring easier
> increases productivity.

I've yet to work in an office where I got a computer screen good enough to
read close to a window.  I'd rather work with flourescent lighting than
strain my eyes trying to read in sunlight.

(I worked for a bank once, where the senior analyst had to be given a window
cube, because he was senior - but he promptly covered over the windows so
that he could work in gloom - and of course ruined the lighting for
everybody nearby, too.  Why they couldn't just have given him a cube near
the elevator core, I don't know)
--
derek