Zsync for livecds.

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Fri Mar 7 06:50:10 GMT 2008

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008, Colin Watson <cjwatson at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 10:44:04AM +0900, John McCabe-Dansted wrote:
> > Zsyncing ubuntu-7.10-desktop-i386.iso to xubuntu saves ~63% of
> > bandwidth over downloading the xubuntu.iso directly. Zsyncing 7.10 to
> > Hardy alpha-4 saves ~14% of bandwidth.
> > However Zsync requires .zsync files to be available some where on the
> > net.
> >
> > Perhaps we should add .zsync files to cdimages?
>
> As far as I can see, zsync is rsync for when you can't actually use
> rsync due to lack of server support. However, cdimage does support
> rsync, so why not just use that directly?

zsync works with _any_ http server, meaning that I can choose to download
Ubuntu from anywhere without having to worry about server support. For
instance, I can use my ISP's own servers, which don't count towards my
download limit, or I could use another server nearby, which is fast but which
doesn't have rsync.

zsync also pushes the processing load to the client. This is far more scalable
than rsync, which does all the heavy lifting on the server. A zsync server,
running just apache/lighttpd/whatever, can serve far more clients than an
overloaded rsync mirror.

--
Your toaster doesn't crash. Your television doesn't crash.
Why should your computer? http://www.linux.org.au/linux