LiveCD patch for low-memory systems (192K)

John McCabe-Dansted gmatht at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 07:15:22 GMT 2008

Hello, I have created a low-memory patch for the Ubuntu 7.10 LiveCD.
This patch is based on compcache, see:
  http://code.google.com/p/compcache/
I have tested this on a 180MB VM and a 120MB VM with only-ubiquity. It
worked in both cases.

The patch (192K) is available at:
http://www.ucc.asn.au/~mccabedj/software/ubuntu-7.10-desktop-LowMemory-i386.iso.xdelta

To use, ensure that
  ubuntu-7.10-desktop-i386.iso
is in the current directory, and run
  xdelta patch ubuntu-7.10-desktop-LowMemory-i386.iso.xdelta

I didn't find any instructions on how patch a LiveCD on the web. I found
  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomization
useful. However created a huge ~180MB delta from the original LiveCD.

I adapted this method to use the append facility of mksquashfs rather
than recreate filesystem.squashfs from scratch. This allowed a very
small 192KB delta and is much faster than recompressing every file on
the LiveCD.

If you want to patch a LiveCD, you might find my code (136K) useful:
  http://www.ucc.asn.au/~mccabedj/software/patch_livecd.tar.gz

I am interested in any questions or comments you might have.

--
John C. McCabe-Dansted
PhD Student