DeviceGuru's Open letter to Mark Shuttleworth

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Tue Jan 29 13:32:15 GMT 2008

On Sun, Jan 20, 2008 at 02:01:29PM +0000, David Gerard wrote:
> On 20/01/2008, Conrad Knauer <atheoi at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I think it's critical to focus as much attention as possible on a
> > single brand, Ubuntu, to maximize its adoption and success. Given the
> > already fragmented nature of Linux, why fragment a specific
> > distribution unnecessarily?
>
> An impoortant distinction between the variants is that it's only the
> official Ubuntu GNOME version that is supported by Canonical,

For the record, Canonical also provides commercial support for Kubuntu,
Ubuntu servers, and Ubuntu thin clients. (The provision of long-term
support for 8.04, much-discussed of late, is not the same as standard
support for six-monthly releases.)

Note that I am not a member of the Canonical support team, so of course
you should talk with them if you want to buy support, not me! They will
be able to answer more detailed questions about the levels of commercial
support that are provided.