For the Kubuntu Guys discussing OT. (Re: OT - Understanding "The Bible")

John McCabe-Dansted gmatht at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 13:23:29 GMT 2008

On Jan 24, 2008 3:28 PM, Joel Bryan Juliano <joelbryan.juliano at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hmmm, no wonder why all the people are absent..
> Isn't this the right place to discuss those things.
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user.kubuntu/25000/

I understand that thread would be OT even here, although it is isn't
entirely clear. Sometimes a single OT message spawns a chain of "that
inappropriate" "no it isn't" "yes it is" messages. The official description
of the Sounder list is "Anything goes Ubuntu community chit-chat and
discussion list" (see https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/sounder ),
but it has been suggested that Sounder posts still need to be vaguely Ubuntu
related and original.

Perhaps when someone is speaking officially on behalf of Ubuntu or Canonical
they could include a title. This way it would be more obvious to casual
observers what the official position is.

A second suggestion is that people who feel the need to reply even when they
suspect the thread is OT only link back to a blog rather than include any
rebuttals in their email. This would encourage any counter rebuttals to be
posted elsewhere. Alternatively we could create an Ubikeshed community and
OT threads could link to a thread on the community. This could reduce the
temptation to reply to OT emails.

--
John C. McCabe-Dansted
PhD Student