DeviceGuru's Open letter to Mark Shuttleworth

Brian Burger blurdesign at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 03:38:39 GMT 2008

On 1/19/08, Conrad Knauer <atheoi at gmail.com> wrote:
> I note, via http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2053 that a blogger has
> posted an open letter to SABDFL
> http://www.deviceguru.com/2008/01/17/an-open-letter-to-mark-shuttleworth/
>
> ---
> Dear Mark,
>
> In order to maximize brand awareness, I recommend that you brand all
> forms of Ubuntu (i.e. Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu, etc.) as
> various "Editions" of Ubuntu.

Not an original idea, it's come up before.

The best rebuttal I can think of is that "Ubuntu KDE Edition" (or
whatever) doesn't mean any more to non-Linux users than "Kubuntu", but
it sounds more complex & therefore intimidating. Not a good marketing
move.

Besides, "Ubuntu *something* Edition" is awkward, too long, and frankly boring.

Keep the names.

Brian
wirelizard.ca