Linus Torvalds says Linux kernel will remain GPL v2

Toby Smithe tsmithe at ubuntu.com
Wed Jan 16 00:03:25 GMT 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 17:16 -0600, Conrad Knauer wrote:
> "Torvalds has also previously said there is at least one thing that
> might make him consider recommending to Linux's copyright owners that
> they change to GPL v3: if Sun Microsystems releases OpenSolaris under
> GPL v3." (still old news, but... it appears that's exactly what Sun is
> going to do next:
> http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Infrastructure/Sun-to-License-OpenSolaris-Under-GPLv3/
> Interesting times indeed.)

Quite old indeed. At first I was confused, as I read the article while
it was still the 15th of January, but the date on the page said 16th.
Wondering why they released the page early, and presuming them to be in
a different timezone, I then noticed the year, which shows the article
to be pretty much one year old, today.

A little further checking turned up [0], posted a year ago tomorrow,
which shows that, whilst GPLv3 was "under consideration", it wasn't
definite. And, indeed, I've not seen much progress over the last year
here.

[0] http://blogs.sun.com/richgreen/entry/all_the_news_that_s