innotek (makers of VirtualBox) to be bought by Sun

Jan Claeys lists at janc.be
Wed Feb 13 01:26:23 GMT 2008

Op dinsdag 12-02-2008 om 19:43 uur [tijdzone -0500], schreef Cyrus
Jones:
> Yes, I have heard of Nexenta. Although I though appreciate that Sun is
> playing nice with the GPL, my trust does not go very far with Sun
> (it's much better than Microsoft, however). In my opinion, Sun's
> problem is that they use the benefit of the open source community and
> then turn around if something (shortsightedly) looks better for them.
> While this may look like a good strategy, Sun loses the trust of the
> open source community.

I guess there are some pro & contra FLOSS streams inside Sun.
Their CEO & some other key people say they're pro, but I can imagine
some internal opposition and they also use some code that's not their
propriety...

> Now, if OpenSolaris is released under GPLv3, Linux Torvalds may
> recommend Linux contributors to use the GPLv3 license (or at least
> GPLv2 or later).

Purely GPLv3 linux contributions seems nearly impossible to me, as it
would be incompatible with the GPLv2-only parts (I think, IANAL).

--
Jan Claeys