Computing Evolution

Brian Fahrlander wheeldweller at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 16:24:07 GMT 2008

Chan Chung Hang Christopher wrote:
> We cannot even fully understand how the brain works let alone how the
> mind exists and you want to talk about artificial INTELLIGENCE?

    Did we understand how the brain works when creating a desktop
metaphor starting with simple switches and vacuum tubes? People tend to
think a) Everything they do has a clear goal, and b) It's worth reaching.

    Look how many well-trained businessmen change meaningless parts
(think: Compaq and their Torx-headed screws) will make them into the
next, indispensable IBM? What was on IBM's mind when they struck the
accord with Bill Gates for the PC?

    It's not about neurons; it's about logic. Objective logic. When the
newspaper comes do we ever answer the phone to retrieve it? When the
waiter brings food, do we go to the garage to get it installed?  Life as
we know it has a 'way' about it. It's time computers start to understand
such things.
> Speech recognition has reached a fair level if you ask me but I suppose
> you are talking about INTELLIGENT processing of speech by
> computers...well, that is not going to happen. The most one can expect
> is speech triggers.

    Yeah, speech is stalled. Remember the last time cellphones were
using it to simply dial phone numbers?  Anyone still doing that?
There's a reason.
> Why would a kernel have anything to do with this stuff? It is more how
> will GNOME/KDE/GNU/more complete environment make use of such new
> technology
    We managed to interconnect computers without synapses; we can even
get them to grab audio-n-video to get caught up on our information. Real
ground can be taken, but not in arguing over window-manager decorations
or trivial stuff.

    It's about flexible logic; the case-insensative search. The fuzzy
match. The XML that doesn't fail if things aren't as expected, but
instead returns what it 'knows' how.  That's where progress awaits.

 Brian Fahrländer                 Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
 Evansville, IN                               http://CounterMoon.org/bio
 ICQ: 5119262                         AOL/Yahoo/GoogleTalk: WheelDweller