Computing Evolution

Donn donn.ingle at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 16:34:06 GMT 2008

On Saturday, 27 December 2008 18:07:52 Brian Fahrlander wrote:
>     Artificial Intelligence seems to have died on the pad; speech
> recognition too. For the last 20 years or so, it's all been around the
> desktop metaphor.  How long until we start on something more? Where does
> Linux fit into this evolution?

I feel the same way. Whenever I am coding I think, "I should not be doing
this, the computer should!"

I want to say to it, in a general way -- this is what I want; something kind
of like so and so; breed from that app; extend and merge those modules. Now
go and test and debug until it runs. Okay, show me the results. Yes, nice,
but we can improve this and this.

I keep hearing about the 'Singularity' but I just don't see it happening. Not
until we can interface with computers like we can with our own minds and
other people (which is admittedly not that great, but better than vi and c!)
will we start to evolve at all.

That's my take on it all. We need meta-meta programming! :D Right, off you go
and start coding your code to code code.

\d