The Great Ubuntu-Girlfriend Experiment

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 14:54:14 BST 2008

2008/4/28 Phil Bieber <philbieber at gmail.com>:

>  The problem with some of those problems is, that they are not strictly
>  Ubuntu-related. Ubuntu can't force to change Transmission's icon, or
>  to change stuff in pidgin. And another bunch of things are more Gnome
>  related, I would say. I'd assume that every Gnome distribution is
>  fighting with the "428.2 GB Media".

Oh, certainly. But ultimately, users don't and shouldn't have to care
whether it's the distro or the upstream (or where in the upstream).
Thankfully, Ubuntu has reasonable influence on upstream (from being
nice to deal with, offering patches, etc.)

> I do agree with the flash part. It
>  should be better incorporated into the desktop. Perhaps similar to the
>  way restricted drivers are managed. So to write a "Restricted Extras
>  Manager" or something in that general direction.

I suppose Canonical feels they're treading a fine line on how well to
integrate the patent-encumbered stuff. But certainly the
free-as-in-beer stuff would be just fine from all legal angles to
incorporate in such a manner (much as restricted wifi drivers are).

- d.