Windows is soooo f*cked

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 14:48:59 BST 2008

On 13/04/2008, Alan Pope <alan at popey.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 12:47:09PM +0100, David Gerard wrote:

>  > Paean to the joys of the Eee. "Some day, our great-grandchildren will
>  > marvel that the industry once standardised on software that required
>  > its users to press the 'Start' button when they wished to stop their
>  > machine. Especially when all we really needed was a life-support
>  > system for a browser."

>  However as the newer generations of these devices come out with bigger disks
>  & RAM, and faster CPUs, XP will be more attractive to vendors. I think that
>  Linux served a purpose for Asus on the EeePC 701, and I know the EeePC 900
>  will also ship with it. But I can forsee a lot of people demanding XP and
>  now Microsoft have extended support for it, unfortunately it will be a big
>  seller :(

I think they'll have an increasingly hard time disguising the
Microsoft tax in the price.

It was the "life support system for a browser" that struck home for
me. I basically live in Minefield (FF3 nightlies), which is of course
identical on Winders and Leengux. (Handy hint: if you download the
tarball and untar it to a folder in your home directory and run it
from there, the auto-updater works just fine and knows where it's
running from.)

- d.