TheOpenCD Project Lead to Canonical: Fork You.

ac "aec$news" at candt.waitrose.com
Thu Sep 27 22:01:51 BST 2007

Conrad Knauer wrote:
> Sorry for the bad pun :)
>
> I got this message in my inbox today:
>
> --- Hi everybody,
>
> I know that when you signed up for this it was just to know about
> new releases, and nothing else (there is a new version though,
> 07.10). Forgive this email, but I wanted to let you know first
> hand.
>
> As of today I'm no longer the project lead for TheOpenCD - there's
> a few reasons why I'm stepping down (see my blog post if at all
> interested) but the two main reasons I'm contacting you are:
>
> * There's no current developer of TheOpenCD now that I'm gone, so
> I'm not sure when the next version of that will be.
>
> * I've started OpenDisc. I'm doing so for the same reasons I left
> TheOpenCD, again outlined in the previously mentioned blog post.
> Take a look at OpenDisc and if you like what you see, be sure to
> sign up for the new version email for it. Since I was the sole
> developer of OpenCD, you can in the least expect it to be as well
> maintained. OpenDisc can be found here: http://www.theopendisc.com/
>

> I didn't want to just throw all of you over to the new list without
>  letting you know what's happening so you can decide for
> yourselves.
>
> I've personally been administering the list, so unfortunately this
>  will be the last email you'll receive from it.
>
> If you want to reply for any reason, direct your emails to
> contact at theopendisc.com

Very interesting, thanks for the heads up.

 From the blog it sounds like layers of poor communication skills
unintentionally eroding a good resource. It is a credit to those
involved that the open cd has got so far as it has, given the apparent
handicaps. For people like me who run a display in the windows world
of computer fairs, theopencd (or theopendisc) is very much on the
front line of allowing an initial alternative to a lock in culture.

I would prefer a squeeky clean foss content, but it will be good to
see a better run resource that is less likely to offer a version such
as the software freedom day special which contained a non  working
thunderbird install file. (Psst - anyone want 70 sfd CDs?)
--
ac