Got Gutsy DVDs?

Matthew Nuzum matthew.nuzum at canonical.com
Fri Oct 26 14:42:52 BST 2007

On 10/26/07, Matt Zimmerman <mdz at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 20, 2007 at 11:40:34PM -0700, Scott (angrykeyboarder) wrote:
> > Dear Ubuntu,
> >
> > You reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally need some more mirrors for the 7.10 DVDs.
> > Continual timeouts on cdimage.ubuntu.com/cdimages.ubuntu.com (ftp or
> > http) don't cut the mustard. Neither do 2 day torrent downloads on my
> > 6MB/s broadband connection.
> >

> The primary reason why they aren't mirrored is because of the amount of
> storage required (just mirroring the CDs is already quite a lot of space),
> but it's also worth noting that the DVD is not the best choice for most
> users.
>
> The CD is a much smaller download, and contains all of the default
> applications.  Installing from the DVD produces exactly the same result.
> The only difference is that the DVD contains additional non-default
> packages, which must be installed explicitly (add/remove etc.).

For documentation purposes, let me point out that there are download
mirrors for the DVDs (on the "complete list of download locations and
other download options" page linked to from the bottom of the download
page), but because there are fewer mirrors and because we aren't able
to use the automatic mirror prober to check for the existence of the
DVD downloads, this page is updated manually, less frequently than the
CD download options. (At the time of Scott's original post though,
there may not have been any DVD mirrors listed yet)

I've personally burned DVDs and as Matt said, there is no benefit for
someone like me with a good Internet connection. If there were a
tremendous benefit they'd be featured more prominently.
--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode