OSI Approves Microsoft Licenses

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Sun Oct 21 20:18:22 BST 2007

Richard Bennett wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 15:13:00 +0200, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca>
> wrote:
>
>>> IMHO, this s*cks
>> Why?  I agree it's "freaky", since MS has been claiming open source will
>> kill the industry, but I can't imagine any way that a proper open source
>> licence for MS software can be a bad thing.
>
> For instance, both MS and Apple have offered a free / cheap version of
> their OS for use on the OLPC laptops.
> This would get them instant access to tens of millions of new users in
> developing regions, who would be likely to stick with the OS they learned
> on their OLPC device when they buy a new device.
> However OLPC refused this, stating they only wanted opensource software on
> the device, to allow the end-user the chance to modify it.
>
> One could see MS releasing cutback versions of their products under this
> new opensource license with the only purpose of preventing users from
> using Linux etc, and keeping users who would opt for opensource solutions
> inside the MS fold, so they would come back to purchase Ms software later.
> Basically as a replacement for shareware software, where the OSI stamp of
> approval would give them access to projects like OLPC.

So you want MS to play by the same rules as the open source community -
except when it looks like they'll get an advantage.  I'm sorry, if MS
provides real open source software, it's a Good Thing.  They're NOT going
to provide any "cutback" versions of any of their flagship products,
because then people will actually _use_ that source.
--
derek