Reminder re Ubuntu on older PCs - Ubuntu Lite

Scott (angrykeyboarder) geekboy at angrykeyboarder.com
Mon Oct 1 07:52:26 BST 2007

Liam Proven wrote:
> It's had a rough time of it over the last couple of years, but the
> Ubuntu Lite project is still very much alive, with a new maintainer in
> charge of the distro, Shae Smittle, a new version based off Ubuntu
> 7.04 "Feisty", a new mailing list and a new project website.

I'd not heard of this till now. It's a nice idea but I've never been
fond of the *box desktops. They are just *too* minimalist for my taste.
And I think that new users would find them much more difficult to learn
than a desktop with more  conventional menus (as found in Mac OS,
Windows, GNOME, KDE, Xfce -or the ugly, but fast IceWM-)....

A *pure* Xfce desktop (no GNOME libraries to be found) runs pretty quick
on my old box (Pentium III w/256 MB of RAM).  By "pure" I'm referring to
the fact that Xubuntu still has some GNOME under the hood.  In the case
of on my old box, it's Debian (Lenny) with Xfce.

--
            Scott
http://angrykeyboarder.com