Linux desktop lacks innovation

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 23:51:40 GMT 2007

On 20/11/2007, Peter Garrett <peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 22:06:37 +0000
> "David Gerard" <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> > "Buttons and menus include text. This confuses users as they have to
> > read and perhaps think."

>  "The file system is visible in Nautilus. This could confuse new users."
> "Totem is normally started by clicking on a file, so we should remove
> it from the menu."
> We could go on... those two have in fact been suggested in the past...

"The alpha 3.0 release, Project Topaz, will be the perfect GNOME's
desktop, as it will have absolutely no features at all. It will simply
use excessive amounts of system resources, and do nothing but sit
there. This final version will contain only a single button. When the
user pushes it, it pops up a beautifully anti-aliased text box on a
white screen telling the user to use a pen and a piece of paper to do
their work and to shut their computer off. As of the early alpha
version, the keyboard interface and serial port are still active for
debugging purposes; an HIG-compliant dialog is also kept for testing
storage. Gnome 3.0 will require 3GB of Ram and a modern graphics card
with OpenGL support; the graphical debugger requires a 128-bit
processor, which has not yet been invented, and a 2GB video card with
optional 4-D rendering capability."

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/GNOME

-d.