Linux desktop lacks innovation

Joel Bryan Juliano joelbryan.juliano at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 01:21:31 GMT 2007

On Nov 17, 2007 7:55 PM, Conrad Knauer <atheoi at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 16, 2007 11:01 PM, Joel Bryan Juliano
> <joelbryan.juliano at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > In the current situation, every Linux distribution seems to copy each
> other.
> > Nothing is really original. Nothing stands out from the rest.
>
> Upstart springs to mind (http://upstart.ubuntu.com/) but since that's
> 'under the hood', most people don't think about it much.
>
> > No distribution wants to take risks anymore, go against the grain or
> anything.
>
> Are you speaking of major distibutions only?  The little ones often
> have some neat ideas that can trickle out to the big ones (consider
> how Knoppix got Linux Live CDs right and that innovation spread out).
> Big distros are more concerned about stability than being cutting
> edge.
>
> Some other distros that spring to mind for trying something new (that
> may or may not pan out in the end)
> Symphony OS with its Mezzo desktop environment
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony_OS)
> GoboLinux with its reorganized filesystem hierarchy
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gobolinux)
>
> BTW, what sort of things would you suggest would be 'risk taking' or
> 'going against the grain' in Ubutnu?

Here's a Linux distribution that I'm currently busy doing,

AMA Desktop 2007, it has some good features like Welcome Center,
Live Chat Support (Right into the desktop), Personal Proxy Wizard
and File System Preferences to name a few.. A new version will be release
tonight with many new features and bug fixes,
a Desktop Preferences is added to "Change the layout of the panels, and
instantly switch to Web 2.0 Applications"

http://sourceforge.net/projects/amadesktop
Screenshots available in
http://picasaweb.google.com/joelbryan.juliano/AMADesktop2007

--