Linux desktop lacks innovation

Conrad Knauer atheoi at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 11:55:34 GMT 2007

On Nov 16, 2007 11:01 PM, Joel Bryan Juliano
<joelbryan.juliano at gmail.com> wrote:

> In the current situation, every Linux distribution seems to copy each other.
> Nothing is really original. Nothing stands out from the rest.

Upstart springs to mind (http://upstart.ubuntu.com/) but since that's
'under the hood', most people don't think about it much.

> No distribution wants to take risks anymore, go against the grain or anything.

Are you speaking of major distibutions only?  The little ones often
have some neat ideas that can trickle out to the big ones (consider
how Knoppix got Linux Live CDs right and that innovation spread out).
Big distros are more concerned about stability than being cutting
edge.

Some other distros that spring to mind for trying something new (that
may or may not pan out in the end)
Symphony OS with its Mezzo desktop environment
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony_OS)
GoboLinux with its reorganized filesystem hierarchy
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gobolinux)

BTW, what sort of things would you suggest would be 'risk taking' or
'going against the grain' in Ubutnu?

CK

P.S. Something that I would like to see in Hardy by default (currently
in universe) would be Miro...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miro_(software)