Got Gutsy DVDs?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 4 23:52:48 GMT 2007

On 11/03/2007 11:15 PM, Scott (angrykeyboarder) wrote:

> After several days and Googling "kubuntu-7.10-dvd-i386.iso" and
> "ubuntu-7.10-dvd-i386.iso" I came up with these:
>
> http://mirror.anl.gov/pub/ubuntu-iso/DVDs-Ubuntu/gutsy/release/ubuntu-7.10-dvd-i386.iso
> http://mirror.anl.gov/pub/ubuntu-iso/DVDs-Kubuntu/gutsy/release/kubuntu-7.10-dvd-i386.iso
>
> I downloaded both with curl in just over 90 minutes.
>
> mirror.anl.gov is one of the fastest mirrors on the planet.

Cool! I had been using mirrors.kernel.org & it took a little over 8
hours on a properly working 1.5Mb DSL.

BTW: Burned the DVD, loaded a new install (text mode install) onto a
128Mb A21M Thinkpad (full install & letting it use the entire disk) with
the network connection purposely disconnected, selected configure
network later & the whole install went in without a hitch! First time
I've been able to do this - ever.

Cold booted & it pops right in. Next I connected the ethernet &
purposely didn't set a static IP or touch anything in NM. NM icon did
it's thing & found a DHCP address, then opened FireFox (takes awhile on
a 128Mb 800Mhz machine) and that poped right in too. I'm impressed &
will burn a copy of the DVD & send to my son to see if he can get his
T21 & Linksys WUSB11-B V2.8 working. :-)