Fwd: [sf-uk-discuss] GNU/Linux users - sign petition to say you use BBC web site!

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Sat Nov 3 06:59:25 GMT 2007

On Sat, 3 Nov 2007, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> > On Sat, 3 Nov 2007, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> >> Ahem!  Why does the petition specifically refer to people who access the
> >> Beeb from _within_ the UK?
> >
> > The BBC is primarily funded to provide services to UK residents.
> > International audiences are of a secondary importance, so it is vital to
> > show them that there are many GNU/Linux users within the UK.
>
> Except (a) that's not true - BBC has all sorts of world service, and the
> website is specifically intended to reach everybody;

I said "primarily funded", not "totally funded". The bulk of the BBC is funded
through television licences levied on UK residents. The BBC World Service is
funded through a grant-in-aid by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

It is generally expected that UK residents receive an acceptable rate of
return on the BBC's licence revenue.

> and (b) "The BBC's
> head of technology, Ashley Highfield, in making excuses for the iPlayer,
> claims that only 400-600 people access the BBC website using Linux!" - says
> nothing about it being only 400-600 people in the UK.

Given the expectation that most BBC investment benefit the domestic market, it
is important that we prove that there are many local residents who access BBC
resources using free software. Including international visitors in the same
figures will only dilute the message.

--
"The use of quantity of money as a target has not been a success. I'm not sure
that I would as of today push it as hard as I once did."
	- Milton Friedman, Financial Times (UK), June 7, 2003