Got Gutsy DVDs?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 1 22:56:04 GMT 2007

On 10/28/2007 01:26 PM, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 04:50:10PM -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Matt Zimmerman wrote:
>>
>> > I would be interested to know *why* you use it.  The cases you described
>> > (installing on many computers, and on computers not belonging to you)
>> > don't explain why the CD is unsuitable for you.
>> >
>> > I would be surprised if the DVD actually saves you bandwidth over the CD,
>> > given that the DVD essentially contains two copies of every default
>> > application (one in pre-installed form, and one in .deb form).
>>
>> That doesn't seem so odd - I'm sure I downloaded at least a couple of
>> hundred MB more files after installing the CD the last time.  It would save
>> considerably if those extra files only needed to be downloaded once when
>> you were installing to _many_ computers, but I really don't see why he
>> can't have his own mirror.
>
> The DVD is about 3.5 gigabytes larger than the CD, so one would need to
> install an extra 200M worth of packages over 17 times in order to make up
> the difference.

It's an interesting excercise to run the list files for the CD
(http://releases.ubuntu.com/7.10/ - ubuntu-7.10-desktop-i386.list) and
the DVD (http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/dvd/current/ - gutsy-dvd-i386.list)
through meld.

I would agree that the additional 3.5G and the 7.5 hour download via a
standard 1.5M DSL line is not worth the effort in many/most instances.
However in two cases that I am aware of it might actually be quite handy:

1. A friend only has access to dial-up & attempts to actually install on
that type of connection, or indeed no connecion, fail. I've attempted to
have her "install" from CD w/ the alternate CD, but for some reason that
doesn't work without an actual internet connection. For the record, I've
tested an alternate CD install (Feisty) without an internet connection
and couldn't get it to work without the connection either.
  I'm downloading the DVD now to see if perhaps I can actually install
_without_ an existing connection. If so, I'll send her the DVD to try.

2. Installed Gutsy on an IBM T21 laptop for my son. Worked fine here
with a direct connect DSL, but when he gets home 200 miles away he finds
that the Linksys WUSB11-B Ver 2.8 wireless USB device he has isn't
recognized by the T21 (the device works just fine on his Feisty desktop
& he has no other internet connection but the wireless).
  I don't know for sure -- it's difficult to troubleshoot over the phone
& college kids have other priorities -- but I suspect that I might end
up having him install a few added packages to get it working. Packages
that may, or may not, be included on the DVD mind you, I haven't figured
that part out yet.
  Had I the foresight to provide him with the DVD with the T21, I
_think_ that at least I'd have a chance of finding what I need on the
DVD to get him working.  However at this point he's out of the water
with the laptop & the only other options are to: 1) have him go and find
another wireless adaptor, one that may, or may not, work either or, 2)
wait & bring the laptop & adaptor back to me so that I can test &
install locally :<(