An Open Letter to the Open Source Community

Melissa Draper melissa at meldraweb.com
Fri May 25 08:12:54 BST 2007

NoOp wrote:
> On 05/21/2007 10:16 PM, Melissa Draper wrote:
>> Dear users, developers and other contributors of Open Source,
>>
>> I write this letter as a contributor of Ubuntu, and as a member of the
>> Ubuntu Women project.
>>

> As a Ubuntu developer outsider - I'm only an Ubuntu user; may I ask what
> exactly is the 'Ubuntu Women project'?
>
> I've seen the references to the
> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Encourage-Women-Linux-HOWTO/x28.html#AEN41
> [which is *very* sexist(.)]
> and references to links where folks have misbehaved (sometimes quite
> badly) on IRC's, mail list etc., towards women. None of which are
> acceptable regardless of race, sex, etc.
>
> However, I can't help but wonder if perhaps the likes of the 'Ubuntu
> Women project' and such tend to segregate women even further. Afterall,
> in over 30 years of working in computers and networks some of the
> developers/programers/program managers that I recall most fondly and
> with utmost respect are women. None of which found it necessary to
> cluster into an XYZ women's group, but instead demonstrated their
> strengths (and weaknesses) based upon their ability alone. That is not
> to say that they didn't encounter prejudices for being female, and
> indeed often were considered "tough broads & worse) by their male
> counterparts. But in the end they survived quite well.

The reasoning for groups like Ubuntu-Women (as well as Debian-Women,
LinuxChix  and so forth ) can be seen in this comment by the previous
LinuxChix head: http://www.geekosophical.net/?p=119#comment-21473

> I suppose that many today will not remember the likes of Grace Murray
> Hopper (the co-inventer of Cobol) see:
> http://inventors.about.com/od/hstartinventors/a/Grace_Hopper.htm, and
> others like her. And the fact remains that many of the worlds greatest
> progammers are women: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_computing
>
> The fact remains that there will always be some prejudice, adolecence,
> and downright frightening instances by individuals in any society,
> group, mail list, blogs, etc. However, in closed intellectual groups
> such as Ubuntu et al, I think that you'll find that eventually the
> trolls, racists, foul typers, sexists, etc., will be culled from the
> herd eventually by peer pressure. It's no different than a small start
> up company that has say 20 employees; a person (male or female) gets
> hired/accepted and eventually they find out that the person is a racist,
> or sexist, or simply has really bad manners. Sooner, rather than later,
> the person will be culled out of the company by his/her peers.

One can hope that you are right, but lets not be complacent and expect
someone else to do the culling. In doing so, we are falling into the
trap of Bystander Apathy, also known as the Bystander Effect. See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect

> I think it not different in the Ubuntu world. In fact I find the Ubuntu
> Code of Ethics and the position of ethics and equality by Matt Zimmerman
> and Ubuntu very refreshing. But in the same hand I think that perhaps
> the "Ubuntu Women" might want to give the Ubuntu peer pressure a chance
> at culling the herd first, and concentrate on contributing as
> people/programmers/users rather than a gender specific "Ubuntu Women's"
> group. Doing so simply aggravates the potential for further segregation.

Taking some of the almost 60 responses into consideration, the problem
is that the peer pressure is being affected by the bystander apathy I
linked to above, or, misinterpretations what is being done wrong.

Ubuntu Women is not here to be a picketing, petitioning, protest group
-- however we do have the aim of raising awareness. This letter of mine
is part of this aim.

> As a 'Bald Man' in his Mid-Fifty's and a Developer, Project Manger,
> Implementor, International Sales Director, Micro-code Programmer, Global
> and Local Area Network designer, and Ubuntu User, I see a number of
> behaviors within society as a whole.
>   Folks make fun of my lack of hair; and despite implementing networks
> in over 33 countries *and* living in 'Silicon Valley', most companies
> won't grant me an interview upon finding out my age. Go figure...
> perhaps I should start an Bald Man + old guys who like Ubuntu group. And
> I've not yet indicated my race, skin color, or lack of education.
>
> Point being is that; yes women are discriminated against, yes women will
> continue to experience bias in their work enviroment(s) whether it be
> direct or online. However, making objections to a joke about a bridge to
> Hawaii because it referenced women is not a good start.

The joke is an example of the low end of the scale. There are plenty of
other similar behaviours, most far more serious, that people need to be
aware of. Talking disrespectfully about wives/girlfriends/female
co-workers in public channels as though it were a guys-only group, is an
example of something a little further up the scale.

> The women that I've always respected and admired have done so based on
> their good will and deeds; whether it be programing, CS development,
> project management, sailing, raising a family, managing a company, or
> life in general. All of them have proven their worth amongst their
> peers. None, that I know of, have had reason to worry too much about
> asinine jokes or sophomoric sexist comments. Obviously threats, posts,
> comments going beyond that should be reported to local LE, just as they
> would in any on or off line environment.
>
> BTW:  It is no surprise that women are an age old mystery to men... it
> is a fact. Women, for the most part, are proud of it - are they not?  I
> noticed that the 'objector' never did come back and respond to any of
> the comments and that the thread simply evolved into a nonsensical
> litany of what is sexist and what is not (similar to what these threads
> have done). I've been married over 22 years and I'm still trying to
> figure out my wife and females in general. Does that make me a sexist,
> typical male, general idiot, or all of the above?

If you behave towards women in a way that makes them feel like lesser
beings, simply because you cannot understand them, then maybe. If you
still treat women with respect, dignity and discourage others from
belittling them, then probably not.

> My kind and uneducated opinion is that the Ubuntu "folks" go back to
> what they do best, and let the peer pressure cull the trolls, sexists,
> racists, and idiots (perhaps I am in the latter group) naturally.

When everyone goes back to 'what they do best', who is left to apply the
peer pressure?

--
Sincerely
Melissa Draper