[Security] Nearly had heart attack ! :-O

Cybe R. Wizard cybe_r_wizard at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 16 01:31:53 GMT 2007

"Conrad Knauer" <atheoi at gmail.com>  said:
> You might want to check for other open ports BTW; go System ->
> Administration -> Network Tools, click on the Port Scan tab and scan
> your IP address.
>
> CK

Thank you for that!  I show 2628 as open for the dict program.  I
assume that is a good thing.  I expected more to be open.
The command recommended by Cameron Hutchison,
<sudo netstat -antup | grep ':\*'>,
showed several programs listening so I assume they are my programs
waiting for input.
The only one I wonder about is this:
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:2628            0.0.0.0:* LISTEN     7926/3
but it is listening on the same port as the dict daemon so it is
probably that.
I gather that I am fairly safe and this is on a Feisty installation
with a /home partition from several (many) installation ago, not only
of Ubuntu, but three versions of Debian before Warty, Mandrake and
RedHat before that.

Dang!  I've been using Linux for a while now.  I never really noticed
before!

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Registered Linux user # 126326