Starting a Ubuntu User's Group

Jonathan Carter jonathan at ubuntu.com
Sun Mar 11 19:27:01 GMT 2007

Hi Michael

Michael T. Richter wrote:
> I've fired off an order to shipit for 300 Ubuntu CDs for my classes so I
> can give them something tangible to start with.  After that....  Well,
> not being user group material, I'm not actually sure what a user group
> does.  Can anybody provide suggestions (or pointers to suggestions) for
> activities and such that I could put my students through to pique
> interest in Ubuntu (and the broader world of Linux/FOSS)?

It sounds that what you want to start initially is something closer to a
Linux Users Group, out of which an Ubuntu Loco team could potentially
grow out of.

I would suggest you take a look at the LUG howto by Rick Moen:
http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/User-Group-HOWTO.html

My local LUG (CLUG) is quite active locally, you are welcome to steal
some ideas from us, the wiki is at http://wiki.clug.org.za, and you
could also install a local planet where users can share their
experiences, like http://park.clug.org.za. Mailing lists are also
ultra-useful for communication within the community, especially for new
users who are seeking help. I would suggest that you establish at
minimum, a list for technical questions and another, low-traffic list
for announcements. Also, if you don't have time for all of this, don't
be afraid to dish out the work, I'm sure there'll be plenty of people
who are willing to give a hand.

Have fun, hope that helps.

-Jonathan