Firefox Dilemma

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Thu Mar 8 05:13:00 GMT 2007

"Joel Bryan Juliano" <joelbryan.juliano at gmail.com> wrote:
> Firefox had been the default web browsers for most of the Linux distributions.
> Now, Farsight Linux decided to switch to Epiphany as their default
> browser, and alot of people couldn't agree more.
> For Firefox, the situation is simple, most of the applications that
> had been written for Gnome doesn't support Firefox.
>
> One very strong reason is "Gconf", almost all Gnome's native
> application has a gconf configurable option, which Firefox, the
> default web-browser for Gnome doesn't have.

Hi,

I think you misunderstand something.

Firefox isn't the default Gnome browser, however Epiphany is, which is
why it it integrates perfectly to Gnome, and why you see it in
Farsight, since IIRC Farsight is precisely meant to showcase Gnome.

Yes, I too much prefer Epiphany over Firefox (overall), purely because
it's a native Gnome program hence integrates perfectly with the Desktop.
However the subject of Firefox vs Epiphany has been beaten to death
since the debut of Ubuntu. As far as I can remember, the outcome was
that although it was obviously recognized/acknowledged that the Desktop
integration and simplicity of Epiphany is a strong, good point, it was
nonetheless judged that the familiarity Windows users have with
Firefox, was of more value.
Since this situation is unlikely to change anytime soon (since FF is
getting increasingly popular on Windows), and since it's so easy to
install Epiphany, I didn't see a point in wasting time arguing on the
matter... ;-)

--
Vince