CCs on mailing list replies (Was Re: Mr. Shuttleworth gets quote mined....)

Scott (angrykeyboarder) geekboy at angrykeyboarder.com
Wed Jun 20 18:54:15 BST 2007

Derek Broughton spake thusly on 06/19/2007 05:35 PM:
> Fabian Rodriguez wrote:
>
>> Michael T. Richter wrote:
>>> On Mon, 2007-18-06 at 09:28 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:[...]
>>>
>>> Or are you missing the 100% ignorant Windows-trashing that goes on
>>> in Linux circles at times?
>>>

> Fabian, this is a listserv.

Not exactly....

LISTSERV is cross-platform mailing list server software from L-Soft
International and is a registered trademark of said company.

This mailing list is (appropriately enough) run by GNU Mailman software. :)

> Please don't respond to individuals, reply to
> the list.  And _particularly_ don't CC me on a response to somebody else!

I myself, will CC the author of a message *on occasion* when I want to
be sure s/he sees my response. That is especially true when my response
is to a message that is (somewhat) old (like this one, for instance).

I've found when I don't CC the response, it (seemingly) falls on deaf
ears.  If the message I'm responding to is *really* old and the thread
has *long since* died, I will only respond to the author.

> I swear, I'm going to just create a rule to bounce emails regarding Ubuntu.
> This doesn't happen on any other lists I read, but it happens on all three
> Ubuntu lists.

I see it happen regularly on mailing lists and newsgroups of all kinds.
And the only reason I know is because either the author has noted it in
the message (a good practice, btw) or a response like yours comes up.

It seems as if there is no middle ground on this subject. But apparently
a lot of people either don't mind it or downright like it.

BTW, you can change your options in mailman so that you won't receive
"duplicates" of messages sent to the list (i.e. your address and the
list address and the list are in the address fields).

Personally, I like getting CC'd. It's a nice way of knowing there is
something I might wish to respond to on the list. I don't actually read
them every day and on high volume lists stuff can easily can get "lost
in the crowd".

Now this is a classic example of an email that I would CC you on, but
since you've expressed your dislike of the practice, I won't.

If you respond to this, I suspect it's probably (mostly) due to the new
subject line.

More often than not, when I don't cc an author on a reply to an
old/older post, I never hear a word out of them (on the list or
otherwise), which is frustrating to say the least.