Do you use any other Operating System(s)?

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Mon Jul 23 11:42:57 BST 2007

On 22/07/07, Jerome Gotangco <jgotangco at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > On 7/21/07, Scott (angrykeyboarder) <geekboy at angrykeyboarder.com> wrote:
> > > Do you also use MacOS and/or Windows (or any other Non-Linux OS for that
> > > matter....)?
>
> Yup. In my use case, Mac OSX is the primary desktop and servers
> running Linux. Mac OSX is a bit of a controversial choice for a
> primary desktop for Open Source development, but it provides an
> awesome environment for some development projects (Java projects come
> into mind). Also running Darwin makes it easier for those heavy into
> Linux simulate the same server environment (and vise-versa).

At home, Linux on everything (laptops, servers, desktops, Zauruses).
Funnily enough, I actually was fortunately enough to win a Mac Mini in
February.  I attached it to the projector in the main room and used it
just for MythTV, Firefox and playing videos.  For months we battled
with OSX with its woeful nfs support, even worse codec support (with
every movie player downloaded being crippleware of some description,
even the ogg ones!), and everything being buggy and so memory hungry
that even the simplest tasks made it crawl.  So I thought I'd try
Ubuntu on it, and it was unbelievably better!  For the three tasks
above, it was perfect, used half the memory of OSX so ran probably 100
times faster (since it didn't need to swap any of its 512MB), and my
girlfriend's happy too cause it has the same games on it as the other
computers!

At work, I use pretty much whatever is put in front of me.  I'm a kind
of roaming consultant, so whatever the client has: AIX, Solaris,
HP-UX, Linux, Windows, OS/390 & i5/OS, other mainframe and cluster
OSes, and of all flavours, versions and on all sorts of different
hardware.  Desktops are normally Windows XP, sometimes NT (esp
government), and my work laptop is dual boot Ubuntu and XP.  It
doesn't really make much difference, as long as I can ssh/minicom to
the servers.

Pete