Searching Ubuntu website

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Tue Jan 30 21:42:25 GMT 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-30 at 20:41 +0000, David M wrote:
> So, I thought, I'll just head over to ubuntu.com and search for
> 'Flash'.
> No relevant results, no joy. :-(
>
> Many newbies would even give up at that point, I fear.
>
> I'll persevere..

I guess you are making a valid point in general, however it is always a
bad idea to _assume_ what a newbie would be doing. If you want to learn
about their behavior in order to improve the software for their needs it
is always better to _observe_ them. Who knows a newbie might have opened
System -> Help -> System Documentation and searched for "flash" which
would have brought her to the concise explanation of who to get it to
work. Or she might have chosen to go to System -> Help -> Online
Documentation -> Internet Browsing, and again found a concise
explanation.

Ubuntu newbies who otherwise are not computer newbies anymore might
behave as you described and head to ubuntu.com straight away, but surely
not all. I haven't observed real computer beginners myself, but I _hope_
they have the sense to look into "Help"