Virtual private servers. Cost effective?

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 14:01:06 GMT 2007

On 04/01/07, Shot (Piotr Szotkowski) <shot at hot.pl> wrote:
> Eric Dunbar:
>
> > Hi all, I'm in the market for a "new" server to
> > replace my aging PowerMac G3/266 MHz Linux server.
>
> I'm a bit reluctant to recommend ServerPronto, as they are dirt cheap
> and googling seems to turn up some unsatisfied customers, but my
> experience for the past ~1.5 year was ok, and a physical server for
> $30/month seems like an unbeatable price: http://serverpronto.com/

$30 (US, presumably) is heavy-duty over-kill for my purposes. I'm just
running a few personal websites for fun, and not for profit (or for a
not-for-profit). $10/mo or even $15/mo for a decent web space (3 GB+
with 6 GB+ bandwidth/mo) would probably be more cost effective than
running my own dedicated server, but, for $30/mo I'd rather have the
physical machine so I can run Windows at full speed when I need to
(which, given that I'm a Mac user, is very rarely).