Virtual private servers. Cost effective?

Niran Babalola niran at niran.org
Wed Jan 3 12:06:24 GMT 2007

On 12/30/06, Jeff Waugh <jdub at perkypants.org> wrote:
> I've been extraordinarily pleased with the reliability, support, management
> and general clue of Linode <www.linode.com>.

I wish I could say the same. I had a Linode server for a while, then
one day I noticed that I couldn't ssh into my server. I tried to log
in to my account on their website, but it was as if my account never
existed. I searched through my email, and I found an email from them
telling me that the credit card I had on file had been rejected
because it expired. That's reasonable enough, except now there was no
way for me to put in my new credit card information so I could access
my server again. I sent them multiple emails asking about this and
never received a response. If I didn't keep a backup copy of all the
data I had on that machine, it would've been gone forever. Not so fun.
I wouldn't use them again for anything remotely critical.

I've heard good things about MediaTemple, but they're too pricey for me.

--
Niran Babalola
http://niran.org