New Programs for Hardy?

Joel Bryan Juliano joelbryan.juliano at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 14:53:44 GMT 2007

On Dec 10, 2007 1:04 PM, Colin Watson <cjwatson at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 03:40:05AM +0000, Joel Bryan Juliano wrote:
> > Other ways to save space is to compress png images using png
> > optimizers like pngcrush.
> > Using python one-liners, there are 10255 totalling 80239148 bytes or
> > 76M in gutsy livecd.
>
> We have indeed spent some time doing exactly this in the past, but it
> would be worth another run.
>
> > Also, finddup (in perforate package) found 2549 duplicate files. and
> > binstats found 162 unused libraries in gutsy livecd.
>
> Similarly; we (mainly Matthias Klose) spent a significant amount of
> effort cleaning this up near the end of the 7.10 cycle, and more work
> has been done in Hardy.
>
> > Interesting is /usr/bin/perl5.8.8 and /usr/bin/perl are duplicates
> > occupying 1M each,
>
> They are hardlinks, not duplicates (see 'ls -il'), and consume
> essentially no extra space.

I see, hardlinks seems complicated, why not use symbolic links instead?

> > and if we look at /usr/bin/docs, bunch of .tar.gz files are
> > duplicates.
>
> I can only assume you mean /usr/share/doc here, but the default
> installation ships no .tar.gz files here, so I don't know what you're
> referring to.

Yes, that is what I mean rather. I don't enjoy details too much, it's
something like .gz's files. My real point is there's many duplicate
files that can be linked together to acquire disk space.

--
Mayers-Briggs Personality Type: INFP
Computer Science Honours and Scholar Student