Gutsy Gibbon article on cnet.com

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 13:37:05 BST 2007

On 8/25/07, Andy <stude.list at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 25/08/07, Daniel Robitaille <robitaille at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  I think there was an official position at one point that
> > Ubuntu releases were to be known only by their code name internally in
> > the community until the final release, but only by their version
> > number post-release.
>
> Care to take a look at http://packages.ubuntu.com/ . Does that page
> use "6.06", "6.10", "7.04" or does it use "dapper", "edgy" and
> "feisty".
>
> I do remember there being a list of all the places that the code names
> had crept into the releases with the hope of removing them. I guess
> they have given up.

It is still in the FAQ on the web site:
http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/faq

"Note: The official way to refer to a released version of Ubuntu is by
the number, not the name. Thus the current version of Ubuntu is 7.04,
not Feisty Fawn."

I guess it is very similar to Apple MacOS world, where you see
references to OS X 10.4 or Tiger interchangeably in books and web
sites.

At the opposite of the spectrum, Windows releases are only know by
their marketing names.  But if you type "ver" in a Windows XP command
line prompt, you get it's release number (5.1)

--
Daniel Robitaille