Gutsy Gibbon article on cnet.com

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 00:41:00 BST 2007

"Ubuntu prepares 'Gutsy Gibbon'"
http://news.com.com/Ubuntu+prepares+Gutsy+Gibbon/2100-7344_3-6204359.html

A couple of things I noticed in that article:

*) the only time a release number is used in the text is for Ubuntu
8.04.  For the rest of the article references are to the various code
names (Gutsy Gibbon, Feisty Fawn, Tribe 5), starting with the title of
the article.  I think there was an official position at one point that
Ubuntu releases were to be known only by their code name internally in
the community until the final release, but only by their version
number post-release.  Obviously this type of differentiation is not
seen in articles like this one  and the use of the code names is
widespread in the "outside world" for past and future releases.   I'm
starting to think that the back and forth between release numbers and
code name of releases depending where you look or what you read  is
more a negative than a positive,  and will tend to confuse the general
average users on the long run.

*) the last paragraph of the article was about the security story from
the other day with the Loco web sites servers  incident.  Obviously
that apparent security problem with Ubuntu will continue to stick to
the project for a while longer...

--
Daniel Robitaille