"Reasons to stick with Windows Vista and avoid Ubuntu"

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Aug 22 15:48:23 BST 2007

David Gerard wrote:

> On 22/08/07, Cyrus Jones <daradib at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The blog used the worst reasons about Vista and Ubuntu. The person was
>> comparing Microsoft Windows Vista (and Windows in general) to Ubuntu
>> without compensating for the fact he was an expert with Vista (and
>> Windows in general) while an absolute beginner to Ubuntu.
>

> It's terrible journalism, but I do think it's of value as an example
> of an emotional response to shifting from Vista to Ubuntu.

Are we expecting that?  I was thinking we'd see more people shifting from XP
to Ubuntu, rather than move to Vista...

> Is there
> anything there that can be stated as a newbie problem and hence as a
> bug? e.g. if how to do something was sufficiently unobvious that the
> first instructions he found unnecessarily involved the command line.
>
> Saying "you are wrong" won't convince anyone, particularly if they are
> in fact wrong. If something isn't sufficiently obvious to a newbie,
> that's a reportable bug that needs fixing.

Very true.  I will almost always give command line fixes for problems in
these mailing lists, because it's a whole lot easier to be clear how to do
something via a text interface when it has to be explained over a text
medium, but a couple of his comments about _having_ to use the command line
really were things we do in GUIs - installing themes and flash (at least, I
always used to avoid installing flash, and yet I have found that flash is
working for me so it must have been auto-installed as a dependency of
something).
--
derek