"Reasons to stick with Windows Vista and avoid Ubuntu"

Richard A. Johnson nixternal at ubuntu.com
Wed Aug 22 13:28:29 BST 2007

On Tuesday 21 August 2007, Daniel Robitaille wrote:
| Seen in the blogosphere today:
|
| "Reasons to stick with Windows Vista and avoid Ubuntu"
| http://vista.blorge.com/2007/08/21/reasons-to-stick-with-windows-vista-and-
|avoid-ubuntu/

You sure know how to make ones blood boil early in the morning :)

This same guy did a horrible review of Ubuntu not even a month back as well.
If I remember correctly, he was chewed up in the comments about it. If he is
installing Vista in 30 minutes, he has streamlined the CD. To verify this, I
called both Circuit City and Best Buy and told them I was interested in
having Vista installed on the new drive. Best Buy came in with the best turn
around time of 4 hours. I asked why so long. Of course there is a wait as I
could very well not be the first in line. He then explained it would take
anywhere from 45 minutes on a super fast machine up to 2 hours for one that
is not so fast. And then after that, they have to defrag your machine. Once
they defrag the machine they run a basic test and if it passes it is good to
go. Circuit city as 2 to 4 hours longer but roughly the same process, I would
just have to wait in line so-to-speak.

I guess he forgot to mention Microsoft still recommends that you defrag the
hard drive after installation :)

Stability wise I don't know. I have a friend who runs it, and of course it is
stable in his eyes. Windows is stable as long as you know 100% of the time
exactly what you are doing. And even in those instances you will still run
into a problem.

I wish for once, someone would do a review that shows more than the OS. Ubuntu
has a ton of great applications out of the box that Microsoft will never do.
OO.o is great, granted it isn't MS Office, and in a way I am glad that it
isn't. I have been using MS Office here on my other system testing stuff back
and forth. I have to say that the new 2007 MS Office is garbage. The whole
ribbon thing is ridiculous, it is a resource hog, and the shade of blue is
foogly :)  Office 2003 is still the best office suite in my eyes.

Another thing I have noted is usability with Vista. Even this guy who wrote
this article stated in a previous post that of course there was a learning
curve with Vista. What he fails to explain is that learning curve is steeper
than one would imagine. From the tinkering of Vista that I have done in
stores, I can honestly say I was lost trying to figure out how to change the
resolution at first. My dad, who I swear is in love with Gates and Ballmer,
even said that he would never in his life try Vista again. He has gone back
to XP and did so in a hurry. He is a big time user as well, one I guess that
would be called a "power user" in the Windows world.

I was || this close to getting him to try out Ubuntu, even after I proved that
dosbox emulator would run his one application he needs in order to tune
camera modules for his company.

OK, I am going to go let the blood simmer down. I wish I would have taken heed
to the comments to this post before reading it in its entirety. :)

--
Richard A. Johnson
nixternal at ubuntu.com
GPG Key: 0x2E2C0124