[ubuntu-marketing] Recent poor publicity - response?

ac "aec$news" at candt.waitrose.com
Fri Aug 17 09:36:27 BST 2007

Chanchao wrote:
[...]
> I think a detailed, positive, up-beat account of "what went wrong
> and how it could have been prevented" would be excellent.  Of
> course it wouldn't get nearly as much interest as the original
> story, but it'd be the right thing to do and not just for marketing
> reasons.

Yes. The optimum approach is to keep getting publicity for all of
those reasons, in a way which does get as much interest as this
particular a story. Pretty difficult, but isn't that what Marketing is
about?

> I think the whole topic here of 'marketing-response' is wrong. It
> was a technology / administration issue, so let it have a
> technology / administration response.  Not tense blurb from a
> company that just sounds like they collectively shat their pants.

A tech/admin problem deserves a tech/admin response, however there are
publicity and image consequences, big ones, which I think are key
marketing aspects. I think it is too easy for technically based
communities to underestimate the power of marketing.

If any thing, this is the weak point in FOSS.

For example, facts, and technical details, even truth(!) almost
*never* figure in marketing items in normal life.
--
ac