Seen on Zdnet: "Will the latest Ubuntu distro finally provide a mainstream Windows alternative?"

Scott slewin at rogers.com
Tue Apr 17 17:42:29 BST 2007

jarrodhenry at comcast.net wrote:
> To be truthful, Scott, I was using Linux ten years ago.  Linux only has been very "kind" to non-geeks very recently.  Back ten years ago, we seemed to be a different lot.  Many of us were in college, the mood was very antagonistic towards microsoft. The software was not nearly the level it was at now, in fact ,  the video card that I had required a paid X server.   The software support wasn't there, KDE was not nearly what it was today, and there weren't many speakable applications.
>
> The media did approach our Linux users group, and they left with the feeling that they just weren't going to be "welcome" in the club.  And that was mostly because Linux users I knew (and I was once an Op on #efnet linux) seemed to be more about hating on Microsoft than loving linux.    Honestly, I could see the media treating linux critically because of the way the media members were treated by Linux "users."   In many cases, we would see people wandering around espousing linux, and then espousing anti-capitalist propaganda and other such things.
>
> You probably would not have liked Linux ten years ago.  It's a completely different beast now, and in ten years, I cannot wait to see what happens.
>
> But.. that said.. the reason the media was the way it was had more to do with how Linux users treated non-Linux users.. and far less to do with any "hidden media agenda."
Thank you Jarrod for your enlightenment, I did not know any of that and
it all does make sense.  It will be great too see what happens in the
next ten years with the Mac gaining ground again and with all the great
things happening in the open source world.

--
Your friend,
Scott

Sent to you from a 100% Linux computer using Kubuntu Version 7.04
(Feisty Fawn)