Problems burning files to DVD+R

Michael T. Richter ttmrichter at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 09:14:14 BST 2007

Running Ubuntu Edgy on hardware which hasn't changed since last year
July using media from the same stack of 50 I've been using for three
months I've suddenly run into a complete inability to write to DVD+R.
When I try to go through GNOME, here's the sequence:

1. I put the disk into my (external, USB2) DVD+R drive.
2. GNOME detects the media and asks what I want to do.
3. Whether I give it files in the burner interface or tell it to go away
and try to burn a premade ISO file, I get, instantly, with no hint of an
attempt to access the bus, a dialog with the following message:

        Insert a rewritable or blank disc
        Please put a disc, with at least 3.6 GiB free, into the drive.
        The following disc types are supported:

The list implied by the colon is empty.  What you see above is the
entire message.  So, deciding that maybe I'm going to have to go to the
command line to solve this, I switch to a shell and type:

$ dvdrecord -scanbus
dvdrtools v0.2.1
Portions (C) 2002-2005 Ark Linux <bero at arklinux.org>
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
under
the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free
Software
Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option) any later version.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
WITHOUT ANY
WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or
FITNESS FOR
A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU General Public License for more
details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along
with
this program; see the file COPYING.  If not, write to the Free Software
Foundation, 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.
Based on:
Cdrecord 1.11a15 (i386-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 J�rg
Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.33
Using libscg version 'bero-0.5a'
dvdrecord: Warning: using inofficial version of libscg (bero-0.5a
'@(#)scsitransp.c     1.81 01/04/20 Copyright 1988,1995,2000 J.
Schilling').
scsibus1:
        1,0,0   100) 'TSSTcorp' 'CD/DVDW TS-H552L' 'CM00' Removable
CD-ROM
        1,1,0   101) *
        1,2,0   102) *
        1,3,0   103) *
        1,4,0   104) *
        1,5,0   105) *
        1,6,0   106) *
        1,7,0   107) *

$ dvdrecord dev=1,0,0 -dao Movies_5.iso

At this point I get activity on the drive, at least -- it doesn't puke
up a meaningless error message right away with no hint of activity.
Instead it churns on the drive and looks for all the world like it's
doing what it's supposed to be doing.  For about 15 seconds.  Then I get
this:

[...]

scsidev: '1,0,0'
scsibus: 1 target: 0 lun: 0
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.33
Using libscg version 'bero-0.5a'
dvdrecord: Warning: using inofficial version of libscg (bero-0.5a
'@(#)scsitransp.c     1.81 01/04/20 Copyright 1988,1995,2000 J.
Schilling').
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : 'TSSTcorp'
Identifikation : 'CD/DVDW TS-H552L'
Revision       : 'CM00'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc DVD-R(W) driver (mmc_mdvd).
Driver flags   : SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: PACKET SAO
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 1 in write mode for single session.
Last chance to quit, starting real write in 0 seconds. Operation starts.
trackno=0
dvdrecord: Input/output error. write_g1: scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB:  2A 00 00 1D 16 46 00 00 1F 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 21 02 00 00
Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x21 Qual 0x02 (logical block address out of range) [No
matching qualifier] Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
resid: 63488
cmd finished after 0.007s timeout 200s
write track data: error after 0 bytes
Sense Bytes: 70 00 00 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

At this point I don't know where to even begin to continue.  What's the
next step in getting one of the following to happen:
a) GNOME's burning interface working the way it worked before instead of
not even trying before throwing its hands up in seeming ennui.
b) As a distant second place in preference, dvdrecord working (or at
least giving useful information explaining why it's not working instead
of hexadecimal vomit).

--
Michael T. Richter <ttmrichter at gmail.com> (GoogleTalk:
ttmrichter at gmail.com)