Freespire's Google ads: "What is Ubuntu Missing?"

Scott geekboy at angrykeyboarder.com
Fri Sep 29 23:08:22 BST 2006

Jerome Gotangco wrote:

> On 9/24/06, Conrad Knauer <atheoi at gmail.com> wrote:
>> (seems to be down at the moment, but you can always read the Google
>> cache; the gist of it is that in order to "create the perfect destkop
>> OS" with other distros you'd need to (heaven forbid!) follow a set of
>> DIY instructions (for Ubuntu they point to
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats) while in
>> Freespire they're preinstalled)
>
> In an FSF PoV, this falls perfectly to the trap of an organisation who
> has no regard of the essense of free software (and open source for
> that matter) for the sake of popularity and market share. I think
> they've been doing that since the Lindows era.
>
> Jerome

I'm not sure why I'm responding to this (other than I wanted to get my $.02
in, just like others had previously); since there's a silly unwritten rule
that your post won't be read, if it's a few days "late" to the party
however......

Not that I'm a fan or foe of Linspire, but I just thought I'd point out that
a number of major Linux distros (Including -but not limited to- SUSE,
Xandros & Mandriva) ship with some non-free software.   So to say that
Linspire "has no regard of the essence of free software (and open source
for that matter)", Is to say the same thing of *any* Linux distribution
that includes non-free software.

The fact is some users aren't as technically inclined and have no interest
in being so, yet still might be intrigued by the idea of something
different than Microsoft Windows.

But they don't what to have to play around with settings for 30 minutes just
to rip MP3s from CDs. They want it to just work.

I frankly don't blame them.  But unlike them, I'm willing to tinker, hence
my use of completely "free" distributions such as Ubuntu.

And to whomever actually read what I've just said.:  Thanks! :-)

--
Scott
www.angrykeyboarder.com