blog entry: "The Name “Firefox” Not Allowed In Ubuntu?"

Jan Claeys lists at janc.be
Fri Sep 29 14:00:16 BST 2006

Op wo, 27-09-2006 te 12:35 -0400, schreef Eric Dunbar:
> Mozilla needs to defend its use of Firefox (use it or lose it)

The Mozilla.org restrictions go way over what's needed for trademark
protection, so that's a bad excuse.  Of course they want to protect
their reputation and the uniform experience that people have when using
anything named "firefox", but that's mostly unrelated to the trademark
issue.

Nevertheless, they have the rights to be so restrictive, so we'll have
to comply.  I hope for them that it won't backfire though, as it seems
like many people in the open source community don't like their current
policy...

--
Jan Claeys